Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Being with the Poor...

By Rosana Madrigal, Saint John Vianney's JustFaith

This is an invitation of sorts. It is not an easy invitation to accept. It is not from me. It is the invitation we all get from Jesus to work with and for the poor. It was not an easy invitation to accept, at least for me it wasn't. I have a difficult time working being with the poor. I would much rather be with the sick. But, several years ago, someone in our JustFaith Group heard the Holy Spirit and decided we should serve breakfast at the San Jose Family Shelter.

Usually, it is easy to hide from the poor in the kitchen. After all, we are making breakfast. However, the last time I went, I took two friends and there was no room for us in the kitchen. Jim McEntee would say we need to be with the poor. In Spanish, he would say convivir con el pueblo. So, told my friends to sit down with the families.

It was the best experience ever! I helped a single mom with her three little girls. She had a three-year-old, a two-year-old and a one-year-old and she huge expecting another child. I feed the two-year-old, a beautiful African-American toddler with big brown eyes and an even a bigger smile. When she finished eating, it was my turn to eat. She asked me if she could sit on my lap while I ate. Wow! What a treat to be with the poor!

The members of Saint John Vianney go every other month on the third Sunday to prepare and serve breakfast starting at 7 AM. But, you can go anytime.

You can sign-up to prepare and serve a meal. Perhaps, you would prefer to help in other ways. You take the parents to the social service agencies and help them through the maze of securing assistance. The need is huge, but you can help. "With God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

The San Jose Family Shelter is located at 1590 Las Plumas, where Las Plumas dead ends with Highway 101, off King Road, between McKee and Berryessa, in San Jose. San Jose Family Shelter, 408-926-8885 or www.sjfamilyshelter.org


Editor's Note: Thank you to Rosana for sharing her experiences and inviting others to participate. Let me know if you also have something to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home